Senior Accountant – CPA
The Senior Accountant will lead projects, complete analyses, and prepare financial records for clients, under the direction of senior consultants including year-end close processes, balance sheet reconciliations, client audit preparation, policies and procedure review and preparation, internal control reviews, accounting software troubleshooting, and GASB interpretation and implementation. May supervise assigned accounting staff and/or review the work of others.
- May be assigned to supervise accounting staff.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Prepare and review general and complex accounting assignments for clients.
- Prepare and review financial reports, budget reports, or other financial reporting for clients and their Boards/Councils.
- Prepare and review complex monthly, quarterly, and year-end close processes for clients, and prepare or review client records for audit. Including, but not limited to:
- Journal Entries
- Bank Reconciliations
- Investment Reconciliations
- Fair Market Value Analysis
- Lease Assets
- Capital Assets
- Interfund Loans
- Debt: Bonds and Loans
- Deposits Payable
- Compensated Absences Payable
- Review internal controls and make recommendations.
- Review and write accounting policies consistent with GAAP and GASB Standards for clients.
- Prepare, review, or assist in the preparation of client budgets and supplementary information.
- Reconcile client grant and project expenditures and compile working papers for audit.
- Analyze the effectiveness of client accounting software and configuration and troubleshoot accounting software processes and workflows.
- Research and advise on GASB, GAAP, and or GAAS Standards and proper implementation.
- Support managing consultants on client projects.
Required Skills & Abilities:
- Knowledge of GASB, GAAP, and GAAS and the ability to interpret and apply standards.
- Strong understanding of Governmental Accounting.
- Strong computer skills, with the ability to quickly learn and troubleshoot client accounting systems.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, Adobe, fund accounting software, project management software, timekeeping and client billing software.
- Self-starter, highly organized, detail oriented, with the ability to work successfully independently and with the team.
- Commitment to meet client deadlines and adhere to work plan schedules on each assignment.
- Ability to discuss complex technical issues with client and consulting management.
- Ability to demonstrate supervisory skills, including the ability to thoroughly review the work of others.
- Ability to maintain client and firm confidentiality.
- Ability to maintain positive and regular communication with clients and team members.
- Ability to keep Manager updated on status of all projects.
- Ability to travel to client locations which may include occasional overnight stays.
- Ability to work effectively while telecommuting.
- Ability to work collaboratively with clients, managers, and co-workers.
- Possesses the initiative to learn new areas beyond the current scope of work.
Education and Experience:
- 5 – 7 years of recent and relevant governmental accounting or auditing.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, or related field, and CPA license required.
- Advanced knowledge of governmental accounting standards.
- Experience preparing financials or audits for governmental entities.
- Valid California Driver’s License.
- Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Must be able to travel by car or airplane for several hours.
- Must be able to lift up to 25 pounds at times.